Monday, September 26, 2011

The Best Guacamole Ever

Everything you need for great guacamole is in this photo!




The best guacamole I ever had was at the Acapulco Princess Hotel. I was there with my Mom and my Aunt Lynn. While Mom was working, Lynn and I soaked up the sun and ate quite a bit of guacamole! It was a really long time ago so I can’t really quite remember what made it so amazing, but ever since that trip I have been trying to recreate the awesomeness of that perfect green dip. I have succeeded in coming pretty close. Here is my recipe.

This recipe will feed 4-6 people as an appetizer, with chips. And make sure you choose good chips - our favourites are made by Que Pasa.

2 large avocados
2 – 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Lemon juice – about the juice of ½ lemon, but you might like more (or less)
Tomato (or salsa) – one small tomato or a couple of tbsp of salsa
Sambal Olek (Thai chilie sauce) – start with a good teaspoon, then taste and add more
Salt & pepper to taste

Optional additions (not in the photo):
Fresh cilantro, cumin, sour cream, lime – one at a time or all together

I like to use one soft avocado for every firm avocado; that way you get a chunkier guacamole and you experience different textures of the avocado as you are eating. Some hipster bloggers might actually dare to say that it gives “good mouth feel”, but I would never say that because I am not a hipster.

Slice the avocado with a knife and break it in half. Hit the sharp edge of the knife on the pit of the avocado and twist it out. Remove the deliciousness from the skin, and put it into a bowl. Save the pit (I will tell you why later). Repeat with all avocados.

 




Toss all the other ingredients into the bowl and mix it lightly with a fork.








Taste your guacamole. Is it super awesome? Great. Not so super awesome? It might need more lemon juice. Maybe more hot sauce. Likely more salt and pepper. 

Once you are happy with the taste, decide when you are going to serve it. If your guests are at the table and you need to serve right away, put it in a nice bowl, pour some chips into another bowl, and go mad. If you are planning to serve it later, put it into a container with a lid and add the pits back into the container. The pits will help prevent the guacamole from turning brown. For real!





If you decide that you want to spice up your guacamole, you could go with the cumin – it adds a nice smokiness without being too chipotle-ish. Or, add some chopped cilantro. Sour cream makes it creamier which can sometimes repair your guac if your avocados are not ripe enough. I sometimes use lime juice instead of lemon juice, and sometimes, when it’s Crazy Day, I use both. It’s up to you because you are the Chef.

Also goes well with quesadillas! And tacos! And burritos!


No comments:

Post a Comment