Sunday, October 5, 2014

Eggplant Pizza by Jill Piers




Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce that this latest post is from a guest blogger - my long time pal Jill Bradbury Piers! Jill made this amazing Eggplant Pizza the other day and when I saw the photo, I had to invite her to guest blog. She's funny too so I knew she'd be a good writer for the blog. Without further delay, here she is!

Guest Blogger - Jill Piers



So, I've known Dvorah and her dear brother Jonathan (aka Lionel) for about (yikes) 35 years now.....we met out of the womb.  Although Dvorah and I have only really seen each other once since about 1988....we've managed to reconnect by good old Facebook.  It is here where our latest chapter begins.  Last week, Dvorah announced that she was going to give up sugar for one month.  I'm thinking, "That sounds doable....I'm in!!"  I should also note, she also said she's not going to buy anything new for one month as well....(NOT in!).

So we start to chat and she shared with me a lovely bread recipe (http://richlerrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/06/meretes-danish-rye-bread-from-susan.html), as well as a recipe for granola (which I've yet to try), homemade peanut butter (http://richlerrecipes.blogspot.com/2014/05/homemade-peanut-butter.html)....delish....and on it goes.  

Then my son asked me to make a homemade pizza for Friday night supper.  No problem....for him and hubby....but what the heck am I going to eat???  Inspiration hits me!  Eggplant Pizza!!  What could be easier?  That will be just like eating pizza...but better.   

Truthfully?  Wasn't bad at all. Even better the day after. I shared a pic of this glorious new recipe with Dvorah and she asked me to be a guest blogger.  So here goes.....

Ingredients:

1 eggplant (I chose one that was relatively the same width from top to bottom)
2 vine-ripened tomatoes
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1 cup (approx) grated cheese (choose what you like, I used Monterey Jack)
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

Slice the eggplant in 1/3 inch slices.  Do the same for the tomatoes.  

Lay the eggplant on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  

Lay a slice of tomato on top of each eggplant slice.  

Layer all of the basil and roll tightly (like I cigar...I guess)....slice with a sharp knife into what is called a chiffonade (thin slices)....(for some reason, my son, John does not like that word...). 

Sprinkle the chiffonade of basil over each eggplant/tomato layer.  Then place some of each cheese onto each piece of layered eggplant, tomato and basil.  

Bake in the oven for about 20 mins until the cheese is bubbling and the eggplant is tender.

Enjoy!!



Thanks to Dvorah for inviting me to be a guest blogger.....!!!! This has been fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. Try this Corn Continental pizza which incorporates lots of Indian spices while still staying true to the concept of Italian pizza.Tandoori Pizza is an exciting way of preparation and presentation. It really melts your mouth just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete