Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sunday Morning Scones

Just in time for the weekend, consider trying this super easy recipe! 



I made these for my kids last week - they had requested biscuits but I saw the cream in my fridge and decided to look for a scones recipe instead. I found this recipe on www.food.com and hardly made any adjustments.

You might think scones are dry and crumbly, but the addition of whipping cream makes these moist and delicious. They are even moist the second day, which is rare.

My boys love cinnamon on their toast in the mornings so the addition of the cinnamon sugar topping took these over the top, and the boys forgot all about the biscuits they had asked for.

I served them with organic raspberry jam and creme fraiche. It was to die for.

Here is the recipe, my edits are in brackets.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour (recipe called for white flour, I did half and half white and whole wheat)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup granulated sugar (recipe says to use 1/3 cup for slightly sweeter scones; I actually cut back on the sugar and used brown sugar instead)
2/3 cup milk (I used whipping cream)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Celsius.

Put flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of your food processor. (You can do this by hand if you want to but once you add the cold butter, it gets intense with the mixing!)


Next add the butter and sugar. Pulse the food processor or use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter.


Add the cream and pulse until dough forms into a ball.





Turn the food processor over and let the dough fall onto the counter.




Press the dough into a patty that is approximately 6 inches wide. But you don't need to get all Martha Stewart and get the ruler out like I did. I just did it for the photo ;-)


Use a pizza cutter to slice the patty into wedges. If you don't have a pizza cutter, you can just use a knife.






Place wedges on an ungreased cookie sheet (or use a Silpat).



Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the wedges. If you don't like cinnamon sugar you can use sugar alone, or nothing at all.


Bake the scones for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top, which can be hard to see if you have cinnamon on there! Don't over bake.


Serve while hot. I like them with jam and creme fraiche. But I am certain they are good with butter too…straight up!



I hope you enjoy!!













No comments:

Post a Comment